World of Warcraft (WoW) has been one of the most successful Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games of all time. Making its debut in 2004, it went on to developing its epic lore expansion after expansion, reaching the 7th in line during August of 2018. However, the more the game evolved, even though new players loved it, WoW veterans started seeing a deterioration in many aspects of the game. It was not uncommon for a few very dedicated fans to maintain their own non-official “vanilla” WoW servers and attract massive numbers of players who wanted to share the same, old experience. Requests have been made to Blizzard, the company behind WoW, to “get back in time” and create a few “Classic” servers for these players, but Blizzard didn’t listen. Until, on August 27th, 2019, the gates of the “original” Azeroth opened again!
WoW Classic just reached 3 months after its re-release and here are 5 reasons you may want to play WoW Classic, again, if you’re a veteran, or for the first time if you’re newer or totally unfamiliar with the game!
- Nostalgia..: It’s been almost 15 years since the release of the original World of Warcraft on November 23rd, 2004. Many “kids” playing during that time are now parents and employed adults instead of children and school students. Riding your mount again in the original Azeroth is not only bringing back memories from the game, but also memories from their real lives of that same period. Hopefully, your real lives were great back then!
- It’s the Original!: World of Warcraft has always been a game focused on progression. When the time came, usually every 2 years, a new expansion would arrive and deeply alter the world in a non-revertable way. Literally, during Cataclysm, World of Warcraft’s 3rd expansion, half of the world was destroyed by Deathwing, a legendary dragon! Players that joined the game after “The Burning Crusade”, World of Warcraft’s 1st expansion, never had the chance to experience how the game was like before that. As a new player, having the chance to experience what those few veterans call “hardcore raiding” is a true and exciting challenge!
- The challenge is real!: Many games tend to become easier as they progress. Gear that increases experience, Blizzard-provided character level boosting and systems that make the process of finding other players to fight dungeons and raids seamless are just a few examples of how the game became easier as the expansions unfolded. None of these are present in WoW Classic! The game used to be challenging for everyone and not just the ones that choose to make it challenging. The challenge is back!
- Looking for Group!: Continuing from the previous point concerning difficulty, recent expansions of WoW can almost be “solo-ed” during the leveling process. While this is true for Classic Wow too, it is not that exciting to play alone. The game was built to require the formation of groups, called “parties”, even for the seemingly easy quests. So gather your friends again, and play in a true MMO way once more!
- True Quality: While the art style of WoW was not enjoyed by everyone, the gameplay quality was not easily overlooked. In fact, back in the day, the MMO players were divided into two groups. The fans of the “cartoony” WoW and the advocates of the “realistic” Lineage. However, WoW was always one step ahead of the MMO competition due to its amazing team in Blizzard, the very well thought lore and the ever-present innovation in the MMO game mechanics. With that being said, WoW Classic makes a good choice of a game even if none of the other 4 reasons are striking a chord for you.
Now it’s time for you to share your experiences! Are you an Original WoW Classic veteran? Have you returned to the game? Do you plan to?